Search for content in message boards

Resolving place names - including the word "county" for county

Replies: 19

Re: Resolving place names - including the word "county" for county

Posted: 28 Aug 2013 6:16AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Aug 2013 6:19AM GMT
It's nice to say always enter a full, place name; but many of us started genealogy when we were keeping notes in spiral binders. When we converted to digital records, we had to deal with what we had. Also, some records simply won't give the whole place name and you are left in a quandry.

I do what pretty much what a previous poster does.

If a county only, I always add "County" to be sure to distinguish it from a town or city or hamlet, etc.

If I have place that doesn't give a county and I can't find it in a county finder or Wikipedia, I just leave it the way it was in the record.

I normally try to put "twp" (which is accepted modifier to a place name that will not interfere with resolving a name) for townships to distinguish from other place names in that county.

If the record gives me a name that is not in PNA or Wikipedia and is probably a historical place name, or the place had different boundaries at the time of the record, I don't resolve those place names - I just leave them alone. This means that the heirarchical view will be incomplete, which is why I don't use the heirarchical view much as it only includs resolved names.

I am still plagued by the "resolve" feature not handling five part place names. There are some place names that are both a hamlet and a village in a New York County. Or a division of the City of Los Angeles and also an unincorporated "place" in the County of Los Angeles.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
hasanders 27 Aug 2013 11:06PM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 27 Aug 2013 11:12PM GMT 
hasanders 27 Aug 2013 11:16PM GMT 
jamclo 27 Aug 2013 11:19PM GMT 
RobinBMc 28 Aug 2013 10:45AM GMT 
curmil 28 Aug 2013 10:59AM GMT 
silverfox3280 28 Aug 2013 12:16PM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 27 Aug 2013 11:31PM GMT 
kj_norway 28 Aug 2013 12:51PM GMT 
tony_knight 28 Aug 2013 2:01PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions