Search for content in message boards

Sources and Source Citations

Replies: 3

Sources and Source Citations

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 4:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
(Hopefully the following will have breaks between paragraphs for readability. I've been having intermittent problems getting my messages to format properly.)

I did multiple searches but could not find where this issue had been discussed on the boards within the last year. This is a shared problem between ancestry.com website and FTM Mac 2 which was highlighted for me when I started looking at reports I could create in FTM to document and share my research. I'm finding lots of problems with the source and source citation information that is downloaded to FTM.

The reference note example from Ancestry's help looks like a text book example of the Elizabeth Shown Mills Census Record QuickCheck Model for digital images at an online commercial site. But what is actually downloaded to and gets created in FTM bears little resemblance to this example. It is not apparent which citation template (if any) is being followed. Ancestry.com is filled in for the author, publisher and repository which makes for a very redundant reference note. What actually gets created is about twice as long as the Help example.

Example from Ancestry Help for reference note:

1930 U.S. census, Gooding County, Idaho, population schedule, Wendell precinct, p. 247 (stamped), enumeration district (ED) 24-8, sheet 5A, dwelling 85, family 85, John Smith; digital image, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 20 April 2010), entry for John Smith; citing National Archives microfilm publication T626, Roll 399.

What Ancestry - FTM Mac 2 actually creates for a reference note:

Ancestry.com, 1930 United States Federal Census (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2002.Original data - United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Fifteenth Census of the United States, 1930. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1930. T626,), Ancestry.com, http://www.Ancestry.com, Year: 1930; Census Place: Alton, Anderson, Kentucky; Roll: 732; Page: 12B; Enumeration District: 5; Image: 109.0. Birth date: abt 1872 Birth place: Kentucky Residence date: 1930 Residence place: Alton, Anderson, Kentucky.

In the 1930 census source citation I copied and pasted above, the citation detail is complete but this is rarely the case in the 18 federal census schedules currently included in my sources. It ranges from being entirely blank to having a list of labels (i.e., Year, Census Place, Roll, Page, Image, etc.) where some of the information is blank. For the source citations I reviewed, when the detail is not entirely blank and at least includes the detail labels, Year and Census Place are consistently filled in but some combination of Roll, Page and Image are blank. Only a small subset of my source citations include an FHL Film # and enumeration district. The source citations for the 1810 and 1890 Veterans were the only schedules I found where the citation detail was entirely complete. For six other schedules, i.e. 1860, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1930 and 1940 at least some of the source citations were complete. For the remaining 10 schedules, I could not find any citation detail which was not missing one or more labels or where the info for one or more labels was not blank.

Does anyone have any insight to what is going on here or what Ancestry's plans may be to rectify? How is everyone else dealing with this situation? Do I really need to bite the bullet and MANUALLY update every source citation?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
peggyannchown... 14 Mar 2013 10:20PM GMT 
Sean Franklin 15 Mar 2013 2:14AM GMT 
peggyannchown... 15 Mar 2013 2:49AM GMT 
Sean Franklin 15 Mar 2013 4:52AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions