Search for content in message boards

Advise needed on Switching from PAF on Windows to FTM Mac3

Replies: 2

Advise needed on Switching from PAF on Windows to FTM Mac3

Posted: 30 Mar 2014 1:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have used PAF for years most recently on Windows 7 machine and have an extensive data base with about 7000 people in it along with many citations and images linked to them and images linked the people themselves.

Switch over last month to a new MacBook Pro and need to find software that I can easily import my current PAF file into without loosing a whole lot of info. Considering FTM Mac3. But can not find a whole lot of useful info on the FTM website.

I plan to copy my geneology files from the windows machine over to the mac using the same file structure they are currently in, hoping to keep all the links etc when I switch over.

My questions are:

1) Will FTM Mac3 be able to handle such a large data base import?

2) Will FTM Mac3 maintain all the original citations for each person and create the same citations in its format?

3) Will FTM Mac3 maintain/recreate the links to image files associated with each citation?

4) Will FTM Mac3 maintain the links to images associated with each person?

5) Do I have to convert the files to a GEDCOM before I export - if I do what happens to all the unique citations for each person when I do that? Do I loose them?

Any tips on how to best do the import of the PAF files to FTM Mac3 would be appreciated. Hoping not to have to upload all my data to the web first in order to do this change over.

Thanks in advance for any help and advise.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
homelinkca 30 Mar 2014 7:43PM GMT 
lewisny 31 Mar 2014 9:46AM GMT 
homelinkca 31 Mar 2014 3:06PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions