Search for content in message boards

GEDCOM to MS Access or Excel

Replies: 111

Re: GEDCOM to MS Access or Excel

Posted: 1 Jul 2012 11:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
amazing to come across something unrelated to my original search, and will hopefully spur a personal itch no one has been able to scratch yet. You project has renewed my interest in RelDB. on to my issue:

this error: "An error has occurred. It may be that you tried to import a Gedcom file structure that is not support."

What is supported. I have tried to run the import on my gedcom, created with TMG8, but given some of my data field lengths, I have a custom export (field lengths are larger than 80 char). IS this triggering the error?

I would try to trace it myself, but I still suffer from dbADD (database Attention Deficit Disorder). hopefully with your answer, and studying your project, I might be able to finally get back to my SQLite attempts.

And in case you are wondering, I want to eventually be able to do many things: port data to psd's for custom charts, to page templates in inDesign, and have a nicer interface than PHPgedview on a private server, so I do not need to keep many copies of my tree (tmg for absolute data control/integrity, ftm for reports, ancestry fro hints and record look-ups, privatized phpgedview for family viewing, etc.)

But back to the issue, I need to understand more on this error/limitations that trigger it.

Another oddity, why have you included a "Children" table? would not that relation be handled optimally from within the "Families" Table with another flag or id? Just looking to understand it more.

any advice or help is appreciated.

thanks

CalRivetHed

(ps please ignore lack of formatting, I had it all pretty and hit submit. Thanks ancestry.com)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
cnewton1969 29 Dec 2011 11:50AM GMT 
revjvw 29 Dec 2011 2:25PM GMT 
Raventhalas 3 Sep 2011 3:19PM GMT 
calrivethed 2 Jul 2012 5:50AM GMT 
cnewton1969 4 Jul 2012 4:09PM GMT 
calrivethed 4 Jul 2012 5:14PM GMT 
cnewton1969 4 Jul 2012 10:48PM GMT 
grizzmex 7 Nov 2012 6:36PM GMT 
cnewton1969 7 Nov 2012 11:09PM GMT 
gwwmjw 1 Aug 2014 4:44AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions