Search for content in message boards

Multiple trees in one program

Replies: 5

Re: Multiple trees in one program

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 7:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
If I understand you correctly, what you are trying to do is have ONE family tree file with multiple separate branches that aren't linked within the tree. I use FTM2012 and am doing the genealogy of a town, so have one tree with several hundred separate families lines in it.

In FTM2012:
To add an individual person who is not connected to anyone in the tree - Go to Person > Add Person > Add unrelated person.
If you want to merge trees, just do a standard merge process, it doesn't matter that merged tree has no linked individuals.

I originally created my tree on Ancestry.com, and created a ficticious person "Town of Washta" with gender unknown and no birth/death dates. Then I added the top of each family tree as a child of this ficticious person. Once I had all the tops of the individual trees added, I just deleted the ficticious "Town of Washta" person and then had all the different families in one tree. As I discovered marriages and relationships between the families, I just created the relationship link between two people in the tree.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
baggy44 4 Nov 2012 11:27AM GMT 
mi2early 4 Nov 2012 8:15PM GMT 
baggy44 5 Nov 2012 1:01AM GMT 
curmil 5 Nov 2012 11:33AM GMT 
serenity20061 13 Dec 2012 2:03AM GMT 
baggy44 13 Dec 2012 10:14AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic