Search for content in message boards

Input welcome re: need for new software

Replies: 1

Re: Input welcome re: need for new software

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 12:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Dec 2012 12:31PM GMT
Every software has strengths and weaknesses. All of the software I have used are similar in the broad strokes. You simply need to consider, what features are most important to you.

Importing data directly from your database is a handy feature; however, I can tell you that it likely will not be a perfect import. The GEDCOM will almost certainly not be a perfect import between programs.

I am not aware of any program that REQUIRES one to subscribe to a service in order to use it. There are programs that work with various services (like FTM and Ancestry.com or Legacy and FamilySearch.org). Many of the programs that I have used or been exposed to require a purchase price, but they stand on their own.

If you select a software that does not integrate with a database at all or with the one you want, you could try GenSmarts, which will search numerous online databases using your file. It will import a GEDCOM, but you get better results if GenSmarts can directly read your file type (it works with all the windows software mentioned and several others.

Most of the software packages have a trial or limited version that will let you evaluate them. I would suggest you start with that (GenSmarts also has a trial).

My suggestion is to find the software that you like the best and switch. You can do this through the software trials. In the end, it is a personal choice.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
HunniB 11 Nov 2012 9:51PM GMT 
Dustin Dewett 6 Dec 2012 7:30PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions