Search for content in message boards

Identifiying individual;s with an Unique Reference

Replies: 6

Identifiying individual;s with an Unique Reference

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 7:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Barry
Does anyone know how to generate a uniquue ID reference for an individual or what systems are already in existance?

I want to combine the 1901 and 1911 census extracted relating to my family name of Barry, so Ideally each person should have a unique ID or primary Identifier. there are approx 9500 people in each census. I have experimented with one made up of [Surname]+[Given Name]+[DOB]+ [Marital status] + [ Place of Birth]which works quite well but there are still several instances of the same sequence being generated because of the limited and repetetive use of the same group of given names.
The information is held in excel Spread sheets, which allows a good range of sorting and filtering arrangements and marcos so it won't be difficult to do what I want if each person can have a unique identifier.

Within one census data its OK as you can use a simple numbering system for each individual, however that doesn't help when the other census data is added, or when family groups are extracted from head of family filtering to then subtract these people from the whole census

Any suggestions please?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
MikeABarry 15 Nov 2012 2:50PM GMT 
mi2early 16 Nov 2012 1:45PM GMT 
MikeABarry 16 Nov 2012 4:26PM GMT 
mi2early 16 Nov 2012 8:22PM GMT 
MikeABarry 16 Nov 2012 10:58PM GMT 
kj_norway 16 Nov 2012 11:56PM GMT 
MikeABarry 17 Nov 2012 9:49AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions