Search for content in message boards

software to track photo and email sources

Replies: 2

Re: software to track photo and email sources

Posted: 23 May 2013 11:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
I was afraid of that. As to unix, is it safe to assume that extends to Linux distros? I may add Ubuntu to my pc in the next few months.

It would sound then like I should continue as I am at present - save my email and photos and that there is no free or low cost solution to bring all of them under one roof, if you will.

Wrt photos, I'm aware conceptually of metadata and photos but have not used it for any practical purposes nor how it might be used as part of a database app like Access or if Access would even be appropriate to use for photos. The only photo DB recommendations I've seen are Picasa and a program called DigiKam at SourceForge. DigiKam looks like it has a steep learning curve.

Wrt email, I'm pretty sure I want to keep them as searchable text files (re: items 1 and 5 in your list). I know that at least Outlook will perform a keyword search across all the emails in my folder whereas I'm not aware of an equivalent program for pdf files. It seems like I should be able to export them into something like Access or a competing db program.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
dmail2007 23 May 2013 5:39AM GMT 
kj_norway 23 May 2013 2:42PM GMT 
dmail2007 23 May 2013 5:32PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions