Search for content in message boards

Personally Developed Genealogy Software – Visual Census

Replies: 1

Posted: 27 May 2013 10:09AM GMT
Classification: Query

This is not just about New Orleans; this post is meant about software and how to use data for any city.

I personally wrote this software to help me in my search for family. It is nowhere near complete but would like some feedback and some ideas on what else I could use or add to aid me in my search.

Background: It started by my mother law handing me a 140 year old photo album. It had about 50 photos and on their backs where they were taken in New Orleans. So I had addresses but no names of who were in the photos, There were a total of 3 families in the book and I knew of one last name. So my hunt and problem began. Through possible brother s and sisters or fathers and mother of the people I knew already.

Idea: You know how Ancestry tells you when you’re looking at a census to go a few pages forward and back to see who lived around someone. Well that is true but it hardly gives you the big picture.

Example: “What about the person across the street” As I example what I am trying to do you will start to understand why I wanted to that data and make it visual.
Details: When I started searching census records, I wanted to know how this person walked the city, to take this census in the first place. What data can I find to show me how it was done?

Records:
1860 – New Orleans – Census – Ward3
1861 – Gardner’s City Directory
1866 – Gardner’s City Directory
1883 – Robinson Street Atlas
1897 – New Orleans – Underwriters Inspection Bureau – Street Rate Slips

Because when they took the census they did one side of the street and the other side of the street for 20 maybe 30 pages. Or they may have missed a street all together and you have to look for further data to aid you. And that is the purpose of why I I wanted to see it visual, to see where people lived to each other. Was a family member next door, cross the street or on the street over from them? Seeing data like that will give you a better understand and area to look for family. And one other thing place business this way you can see who works with whom to give you more options to find family members.

I am attaching some pictures to this post.

On the screens that have plate and the top left,
Red Dot – Not Included On Census – Businesses – But In Directory
Blue Dot – Included On Census – Houses
Green Dot – Not Included On Census – Houses - But In Directory
Purple Dot – Pictures of area from time period.

Example: 188 Rampart In the picture, 2 dwelling numbers for 1 address. From the 1897 Orleans – Underwriters Inspection Bureau – Street Rate Slips. Found out the build make up. 2 floor brick building. So it was a double dwelling. I am saying that because back then you will not have people rip down a building and build another. A building stay did it fell or burned back then.

And the 1897 – New Orleans – Underwriters Inspection Bureau – Street Rate Slips matched against the 1883 – Robinson Street Atlas. Red on the street atlas is brick and tan is framed building

Thank You for reading, any comments welcome. Just wanted to get other peoples input.
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
tl082710 27 May 2013 4:09PM GMT 
philsgenes 14 Feb 2014 2:48PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic