Search for content in message boards

Genealogy Program recommendations

Replies: 3

Re: Genealogy Program recommendations

Posted: 6 Jul 2013 6:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have used Legacy 7.5 DeLuxe, Rootsmagic 6 and Family Tree Maker 2012. All of these programs are very good and any one of them does a good job overall I don't think you can go far wrong with any of them. However, they each have their little pluses or minuses which makes it hard to choose just one.
FTM2012. I like the management facilities - Sources and citations, Pictures & places, event copying (useful for censuses). I do not like the date handling, in particular as I make heavy use of UK register indexes I would like some simple way of entering quarter dates. Dealing with subsets of people could be improved if searches could be saved. However, I have had to stop using it because it does no behave well with Windows 8 on my machine.
LEGACY 7.5 DeLuxe
I like the navigation facilities - a bit of a learning curve based on clicking various blank spots on the interface but terrific once you know how; quarter dates are supported,event copying is also supported. Sources are Ok but if you use a citation more than once and make an error it can be a pain. Very extensive searching facilities including easy searches to find missing data and sources, on the surface no saved searches but in fact there are 9 tagging options which allow up to 9 saved searches. Very customizable reports.
ROOTSMAGIC 6
Excellent date handling and a very nice (non-standard) feature is allowing a sort date for all facts (whether or not they have a natural date attached. Sources and citations are easy with very customizable templates but a let down is the fact that you have to generate a report to find out who is using a citation. This program also allows event sharing and roles/witnesses. I have mixed feelings about this because of the problems that ensue when you attempt to export the data to a GEDCOM. People subsets are very well handled as you can choose subsets using various crieria and save them as a named group.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ardith12 1 Jul 2013 9:02PM GMT 
DavidNewton31 6 Jul 2013 12:29PM GMT 
ardith12 6 Jul 2013 8:46PM GMT 
frostfreedet 10 Jul 2013 3:33AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions