Search for content in message boards

Generations Family Tree Software, Need Conversion Help

Replies: 3

Generations Family Tree Software, Need Conversion Help

Posted: 12 Nov 2013 10:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, I am doing my own tree on Family Tree Maker for the Mac but I'm helping an elderly friend with her family tree. She had very little information of her own but knew that her brother had done extensive research. She was just in the process of asking him to share his information when he suddenly became ill and passed away, a few months ago. His family very kindly sent her a stack of CDs with his files. She can't read them and has asked me to help.

There are 4 disks of Generations files:
Program disk
Social Security Death Index 1
Social Security Death Index 2
Historical Records

All I can tell is that they are Windows files and from 1998.

There is a 5th disk which is a Family Tree Maker Backup from 2005, except the sole file in it is a 28k fbc file (FTM compressed backup). Because of its size, I suspect it's empty. I tried but my FTM can't read it.

Can anyone give me suggestions on converting the Generations files to a gedcom or even just plain old text (or graphics if appropriate)? I'm fine with hand copying the information, I just need to be able to read it.

I have a MacBook Pro running Lion. My friend has a Windows machine I think, but I'm not sure.

Thanks!
Cyndi

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
cyndi308 13 Nov 2013 5:49AM GMT 
frostfreedet 15 Nov 2013 12:36AM GMT 
cyndi308 15 Nov 2013 12:52AM GMT 
frostfreedet 15 Nov 2013 5:58AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions