Search for content in message boards

exporting my Ancestry.com Tree back into Legacy software

Replies: 17

Re: exporting my Ancestry.com Tree back into Legacy software

Posted: 13 Feb 2014 11:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Feb 2014 11:16AM GMT
A side bar to this thread, and this has been a good thread of interest to me.

Debbie this could be a nice fork in the road for you, a fresh new start with learning from all the little mistakes that you have made before now and to get back to a better start with a new site online for your family tree.
Once you get all of your work back into you Legacy Software and get it tweaked and as good as you want it, you might try another site to go online with your work
besides Ancestry.
I'm assuming you have had your tree at the Public Member Tree feature.
I for one would not use the Ancestry Tree sites for my online tree but that is just me.

I have had good reasons for not liking the Ancestry Trees and now reading this thread makes me feel even better about not using it.
I do subscribe to Ancestry for searching the records a few more features and love it but the Online Trees have a lot to be desired.

I don't recommend anything to anyone, any more, even restaurants or movies, it never failed to come back to haunt me when I did.
That said,
I do use World Connect, a KISS approach, easy to use and upload to, for my online tree and it works well for what I do which is 99% research and not so much as photos and pretty doodads crests, shields, flags, photos of castles, etc etc that a lot of folks like,, mostly newcomers seeking royalty in their history. They usually don't find it in a weekend, or so, then abandon their weekender type tree, with all the dupes and trips to never log into again. You know the drill.

I always keep my master gedcom in my Legacy (7.5, Free, hate 8.0) and routinely back up every new export to gedcom file to a
thumb drive. Google Docs or similar would work too for backup.

Others here might suggest or recommend other sites online for your tree and a good easy fast backup method.

Good luck on getting things back in order and stick with keeping all, 100%, of you hard work in you Legacy Data and backed up somewhere other than your C-Drive. KISS is always best for me.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
MrTTubbs 7 Apr 2011 12:40PM GMT 
karezd 7 Apr 2011 12:56PM GMT 
sherris1982 29 Oct 2013 10:27AM GMT 
mintliving 16 Aug 2012 3:21PM GMT 
sagrelto1 24 Nov 2012 4:01PM GMT 
Ken Pinard 19 Oct 2013 9:06PM GMT 
Jerry Stevens 13 Feb 2014 6:11PM GMT 
Donald Fritze 1 Apr 2014 1:56AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic