Search for content in message boards

Publishing Center falls short

Replies: 5

Publishing Center falls short

Posted: 20 Dec 2012 1:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
I've beed trying to prepare a collection of Family Group Sheets for my siblings by Christmas. That's not going to happen. I realize this facility is not high on the vendor's priority list but it's frustrating when things don't function as hoped. Here are a few things I've run into, good, bad, and bugs.

Designating which FGRs to include in what order is not difficult. There are facilities to build a real book with a title page, copyright, dedication, preface, etc. It can produce narrative but I chose to use family group sheets so I could better control which generations are included.

A PDF was really my only option. FGRs and charts are not available in rich text format. There is a wonderful optional indexing feature which builds a name index for you with proper page references. This feature is not available in plain text and HTML formats.

There is a limit of 200 items (decendancy chart, pedigree chart, individual report, family group sheet, etc.) which is not well documented so, of course, I ran into it. Deleting is buggy. When I tried to insert after deleting, I discovered the subscripts for the FGRs were not reordered so instead of inserting, I brought back deleted FGRs and others close to the insertion point disappeared.

I was producing FGRS even for unmarried individuals so I had a consistent format throughout the book. Inserting these FGRs when close to the 200 limit is buggy. Invariably, an existing FGR was duplicated and the desired FGR was omitted.

I believe my only options now are to rebuild my book or produce rich text format do a lot of editting with my word processor. With the second option, I don't know what I'd do about an index.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Donald Fritze 20 Dec 2012 8:13PM GMT 
wendyh651 21 Dec 2012 2:38AM GMT 
Donald Fritze 21 Dec 2012 1:12PM GMT 
Donald Fritze 26 Dec 2012 6:05PM GMT 
Donald Fritze 26 Dec 2012 6:31PM GMT 
Donald Fritze 3 Jan 2013 2:18PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions