Search for content in message boards

Step-children

Replies: 6

Re: Step-children

Posted: 28 Jun 2013 9:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
If you haven't already entered the child in question, add them as a "New Unlinked Individual" - Ctrl+N on the keyboard, or Add > New Unlinked Individual via the menus.

Next, add the parent you know about to this person. You'll already have him or her in your database, I expect, so instead of adding a new person, choose to link to that existing person.

At this point, your child has only one parent. If that parent already has the subsequent marriage in place, that spouse is already set up to be the step parent to the child.

You can display the step relationship on your screen - right-click on the child (any child, in the child position in Family View), hover the mouse/cursor on View in the menu that appears, and click on "Show 1/2 kids".

To make this step relationship appear in reports, you'll need to add the step-parent as another parent to the child. Children can have any number of parents in Legacy!

Once you've added the parent, right-click on the child (the specific one this time) and then click on Children's Settings. You can then specify the nature of the relationship to either parent, and therefore show that one is a step parent (or whatever you want it to show).

Does that do what you want it to do? I think I've covered most of the basics here, so whatever you want to do (or not have showing) should be adjustable with these settings. Unlink any parents from the child if you don't want them showing there. Or tell us a bit more detail if you still need help with it. :-)

Kind Regards,
Wendy
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Kim Overholt 28 Jun 2013 3:41AM GMT 
BrianJones133 28 Jun 2013 1:18PM GMT 
Kim Overholt 28 Jun 2013 2:32PM GMT 
BrianJones133 29 Jun 2013 3:46PM GMT 
wendyh651 29 Jun 2013 3:49AM GMT 
Kim Overholt 29 Jun 2013 5:55PM GMT 
wendyh651 30 Jun 2013 2:49AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions