Search for content in message boards

Name format in reports: Surmame + First names?

Replies: 2

Re: Name format in reports: Surmame + First names?

Posted: 9 Apr 2014 9:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Thank you for the reply.
I have made a suggestion to Legacy about this. They are very open to suggestions as I understand, and I hope they will introduce an override, not for me alone of course. The "Hungarian way" in fact is the "Eastern way" and it has a wide scale of usage: the surname precedes the first name in several cultures such as parts of of Russia, all of China, Japan, Taiwan, Vietnam, Southern India, some European countries.
I perfectly agree with you on the standardization of genealogical lexis and pragmatics and there is confusion, indeed. I have had a few requests from the States when people with Hungarian ancestry asked me to help clarify the surname-first name issue of original Hungarian sources. So there has to be a universal professional discipline in language usage when a work is published for international genealogical purposes. I always capitalize the surnames in all may reports in order to avoid any confusion.
However, the project I am working on is intended for the local community and for them the sentences sound too official, too strange with "reversed" personal names.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Domokos Nagy-... 8 Apr 2014 3:19AM GMT 
magnoliasouth 9 Apr 2014 5:58PM GMT 
Domokos Nagy-... 10 Apr 2014 3:46AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic