Search for content in message boards

I need to save 40 years of data input

Replies: 8

Re: I need to save 40 years of data input

Posted: 13 Jul 2014 9:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
The program was written to create a book with formatted pages.
We had 980 pages in 1998 when we did our book, but that was after I spent a week editing the text to combine pages with only a few lines.
The big difference between a gedcom and the file we create is that each "improver"to the program added something that does not fit a gedcom.
For example the major events in a person's life are enumerated and a 4000 character text file can be added to baptism event, marriage event, elegy, etc.
The top and bottom of each page can be found by the footer and the first word, but the descendants chart would throw it all off.
Melany followed the parents of spouses back as far as possible, and, since this area was isolated, intermarriages occurred. Our original temptation was to call the book "Kudzu".
Tracing it would be an "opus".
The CD we made (1998) has the book in M.S.Word format in sections and complete as well as a file of old pictures.
Until my wife had her TIA about two years ago, she kept adding new generations. Now she is re-learning from the library and has a lot of people to catch up with.
The program will only handle about 10,000 people before the hard addressing crashes, so there are now four separate copies of it with the files for it and I have prepared a fifth copy.
A storm is coming, so I'll Quit
Pat Hamel (for Melany).
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mehamel 22 Jun 2014 4:33AM GMT 
barbarajfn 12 Jul 2014 5:48PM GMT 
mehamel 13 Jul 2014 3:22AM GMT 
barbarajfn 13 Jul 2014 3:32AM GMT 
mehamel 13 Jul 2014 3:29PM GMT 
wbalson 2 Oct 2014 1:42AM GMT 
mehamel 4 Oct 2014 2:24AM GMT 
barbarajfn 4 Oct 2014 8:12PM GMT 
mehamel 5 Oct 2014 5:36AM GMT