Search for content in message boards

Recording sources in TMG

Replies: 1

Recording sources in TMG

Posted: 23 Jun 2014 5:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
I realize that there are probably a number of ways to record source citation in TMG but knowing that there may be good points or pitfalls in the two methods I'm wondering about, I thought I would put the question out here and see if there was a consensus. I've looked in the message area at Wholly Genes and that area appears to be deader than some of my relatives, and, to me, the User's Manual for TMG is the worst user's manual I've ever seen. That said, here goes.

This method is what I had started out doing when I entered a number of individuals from the book "Finney-Phinney Families in America." I entered the data for the publication (e.g. title, author, etc.) on the General tab of the Source Definition page, in the appropriate fields and added (I believe) a Page field where I entered the page number where the individual appeared. In this way I might have anywhere from1 or 2 individuals citing a single source to 20 or more, but each one has the exact same source down to page level. Thus I ended up with around 70 different citations, all from the same publication, just on different pages

After doing all of that, I than began to wonder if it would have been better to have just had one, single source, "Finney-Phinney Families in America" and have just listed the page number of the information on each different individual in the Comments area of the Supplemental page. Where my problem comes in is that I cannot tell if you can have different comments on different instances of the same basic source or not. I'm a bit leery of trying this out on a record or two as I don't want to mess up something that might take a very long time to straighten out if it messes up. So, which way is the best (only correct?) way to do this? The first way gives you a very large number of sources which could easily run into the thousands and the second method, if it is possible, would greatly reduce the number of sources.

Any help would be appreciated in this.

Thanks, Tom
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
putnamtom 23 Jun 2014 11:44PM GMT 
gratop 27 Jun 2014 5:38PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic