Search for content in message boards

Need a way to mark people with no death date as dead

Replies: 8

Need a way to mark people with no death date as dead

Posted: 4 Aug 2011 11:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Aug 2011 11:24AM GMT
I tried to search the boards for an answer but couldn't search for a phrase like " no death date ". So I had to start by posting a request, instead of finding an existing answer.

I'd like to mark people in my database who are over a certain age, say 111 years, but who have no death date, as dead.

But there is a lot of them and I want to find a program or "macro" that can go thru a file, like a GEDCOM file, and find people over the "trigger" age and mark them as dead somehow. Possibilities are adding a death date of maybe 111 years after their birth, or putting a "Y" in the death date or event field. Of course, I'm not sure what criteria the various programs and web sites use to filter out the personal data of living persons, either.

Two possibilities I've looked at and discarded so far:
Note Tab Light, the text editor with a "Clips" scripting language to modify a GEDCOM file, and the essentially DOS based program LifeLines, which also has numerous possibilities with its "Reports" script programs. Note Tab's clips were a bit too complicated for me, and I couldn't make LifeLines work on my Vista machine. It ran, but wouldn't save a database or find an existing one.

I've set up a filter in PAF to find the people for me easily enough, but need a way to modify those records to show somehow that the person is dead.

Any help would be appreciated.

This is for the online privacy concerns, so these people will show up and not be considered still living and be filtered out of display results.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
dougvanderlaa... 4 Aug 2011 5:19PM GMT 
Dave G 4 Aug 2011 8:44PM GMT 
dougvanderlaa... 4 Aug 2011 11:53PM GMT 
Dave G 5 Aug 2011 11:21AM GMT 
dougvanderlaa... 5 Aug 2011 3:14PM GMT 
Dave G 5 Aug 2011 3:56PM GMT 
dougvanderlaa... 5 Aug 2011 7:08PM GMT 
TheDahlstedts 6 Aug 2011 5:37PM GMT 
dougvanderlaa... 6 Aug 2011 5:59PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic