Search for content in message boards

Easiest way to share info betweenRM and online Ancestry Tree

Replies: 19

Re: Easiest way to share info betweenRM and online Ancestry Tree

Posted: 7 Nov 2010 4:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Feb 2011 8:46PM GMT
I, too, have been following this with keen interest. Like the first writer, I use RootsMagic and very much enjoy it for its simplicity of use and I don't want to put anything online until I am sure of its veracity. I have a very, very out of date tree on Ancestry and have not updated it for the reasons outlined in these messages. i.e. I lose the attachments and I have to create and rename a whole new tree as well as delete the old one.

I also use Genes Reunited and find the process of updating much simpler. Why Ancestry has to be so complicated, I do not know.

The other reason that I object to Ancestry's method of putting and keeping trees online is because it encourages errors. The simplest way to use Ancestry's Trees is to use it as your main family tree program. If you make it a public tree, you may put something on there that you have not yet proven. Someone else sees that and takes it as gospel and the error just goes on and on. Or it also means that it may take a very long time before before somebody (like me) updates. I'm as certain as I can be that what I have posted is accurate, but I have a whole lot more information now that another researcher may be interested in, and sadly, I'm not sharing it.

So, please, please Ancestry address this problem.

Thanks for letting me have my two cents worth.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
nemeses24 7 Feb 2009 9:40AM GMT 
turrella2010 6 Nov 2010 11:17PM GMT 
pennyholt1264 7 Nov 2010 11:12PM GMT 
Donald R Newc... 12 Dec 2010 8:48PM GMT 
g8ksh 19 Feb 2011 3:50PM GMT 
shirleymturne... 16 Aug 2011 1:38PM GMT 
dorette472 18 Aug 2011 1:20AM GMT 
shirleymturne... 18 Aug 2011 7:25AM GMT 
Donald R Newc... 5 Sep 2011 6:10PM GMT 
shirleymturne... 6 Sep 2011 5:19PM GMT 
per page