First let me state that I have no pecuniary interest in any software. I have purchased at least 5 software packages, and test run several others, because I am rather particular. For me colour coding is very useful, but whether they are pretty colours or not is not important. I find the colours that RM6 offers to be attractive enough.
For me other things are important.
1. Easy to learn and use. (Very)
2. Good support. (Excellent. Many ways to obtain it including webinars, phone, forums. I've even talked to the developer!)
3. Excellent citation. (Got it.)
4. Able to handle UK and Canadian facts, documentation and citation. (Got it, again.)
5. Easy to customize. (Yes.)
6. Good for travel. (It has RootsMagic to Go, you can put your tree online, and there is an app.)
7. Easy to query. (Yes. You can ask it any odd thing and get a report.)
8. Inexpensive. (Under 50 bucks including the easy to understand book. No complaints there.)
On the whole, I have found RootsMagic to be far and away the best genealogy software, hands down.