Search for content in message boards

New Book on Sultana

Replies: 1

New Book on Sultana

Posted: 2 Jun 2008 10:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello All: I am Gene Eric Salecker, the author of the 1996 book "Disaster on the Mississippi: The Sultana Explosion April 27, 1865." After 12 years, I believe that it is time for a new book on the Sultana. Over the past 25-30 years I have compiled more that 300 accounts from survivors, witnesses, and rescuers from people connected to the Sultana. Many of the accounts were published in Chester D. Berry's 1892 book entitled "Loss of the Sultana and Reminiscences of Survivors." I am hoping to take the accounts that never made it to Berry's wonderful book and publish them in a new book, tentatively entitled, "Loss of the Sultana II."

If anyone has any first person accounts of the experiences of their Sultana ancestor - be it from letters, obituaries, pension records, newspapers, etc - now is the time to get them to me for inclusion in my upcoming book. I will be working on the manuscript this summer and would like them as soon as possible. ALSO - ANY COPIES OF PHOTOGRAPHS would be a blessing!

Also, please feel free to contact me to see if I have anything on your relative. Believe me, I have quite a bit of information on the Sultana people - both soldiers and civilians. Please contact me, I will see what I have and will let you know as soon as possible.

I can be reached at - g-salecker@neiu.edu or at:
Gene Eric Salecker
2526 N. Davisson ST.
River Grove, IL 60171-1710

Thanks to all in advance.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
gesalecker 2 Jun 2008 4:06PM GMT 
Raona_A 16 Jul 2014 4:39AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic