Search for content in message boards

Lübeck: H or S?

Replies: 5

Lübeck: H or S?

Posted: 9 Sep 2013 9:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Especially on Lübeck Citizenship sets from the late 1800s & early 1900s, I've started seeing a lot of family names (and occasionally place names) that look like they are completely in modern script except for what looks *exactly* like the usual Kurrent/Sütterlin "h" (and *not* like the usual Kurrent/Sütterlin long "s"), most often but not always next to a modern script "s" (usually before the "s", but rarely after). Is it possible that this is actually a long "s" instead of an "h", or that the combination with "s" is perhaps a form of an "ß"?

In every case I've run across so far, the spelling with the "hs" is in the dropdown dictionary and in almost every case I've run across the spelling with "ss" is not in the dropdown dictionary, which is making me second-guess myself. (Especially after seeing "Vohs" and "Grohse" in the dropdown dictionary while "Voss" and "Grosse" aren't in the dictionary at all.)

I've attached a screenshot illustrating this (from 1912). The family names are obviously in modern script, while the given names are obviously Kurrent. Larsson and Lüssow have two modern "s"es together, Schünemann and Schurig have modern "h"es, but: Priehs or Priess or Prieß? Vohs or Voss or Voß?
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kateshort2 10 Sep 2013 3:01AM GMT 
katerimmer 10 Sep 2013 7:23AM GMT 
kateshort2 13 Sep 2013 6:21AM GMT 
Elisabeth_Pow... 13 Sep 2013 10:40PM GMT 
Elisabeth_Pow... 14 Sep 2013 8:34AM GMT 
kateshort2 14 Sep 2013 6:19PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions