Search for content in message boards

RI Vital Extracts - Church Records of name

Replies: 3

RI Vital Extracts - Church Records of name

Posted: 8 Apr 2013 3:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
I realise it is way too late to do anything about this but just wanted to mention something I noticed yesterday having come back to this project after a long break, doing some reviewing for the keying challenge.

It states in the instructions for this project that "often the parents' names will appear after the word 'of'. For example, 'Betram, Thomas of Thomas and Maria Ward'.

Fine, but it seems that in some of the records we are reviewing now, "of" is used to mean "wife / widow of" and the name following of is the husband's given name.

Some examples:
McCaw Margaret (Alexander) of Samuel, Jan 26 1851
McCaw Ann (Keating) of William 2d, April 5 1857

FamilySearch has a Margaret Alexander, spouse of Samuel McCaw, and Ann Keating, spouse of William McCaw. Of course in any particular case it could just be a coincidence where the wife's father's given name is the same as her husband's, but I have seen too many of these for this to be the case.

I'm not suggesting that we do anything about this at this late stage and I don't know whether there are similar entries in the other two RI projects. It would have been unfair on the keyers to move the given name from father to spouse against the project instructions and on the basis of looking the names up one by one. Really I think the compiler of the book would have been better to put in the relationships such as "daughter" "wife" instead of just "of"!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
katerimmer 8 Apr 2013 9:59AM GMT 
Paulmd199 9 Apr 2013 9:21AM GMT 
816spider 10 Apr 2013 3:58PM GMT 
katerimmer 10 Apr 2013 4:51PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions