Search for content in message boards

Delaware Land Questions

Replies: 4

Delaware Land Questions

Posted: 21 Jul 2013 11:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
Since this project is rather old and is now being one of the "Featured" ones, I have several questions that I cannot find answers to.

1. I know we are to key the most complete version of the name once per image (an example is "Jno Smith" is mentioned first, then later in the image you see "John Smith"), but would you do this also if his transcribed signature at the end of the document states "Jno Smith"? I'm still leaning for the most complete version but I have also seen that transcribed signatures at the end of the document trump what is written in the body of the document. Which one?

2. This is sort of related to the first question (see my first attached screenshot). Because of space, I am only showing a portion of the image document that clearly includes international characters. However, within the same it is written without. This gentleman is the deceased father of several people mentioned and does not have a signature at the end. Key with or without international characters?

3. Relating to the second attached screenshot, I have several questions. One of the sons of James Dyre is a James Dyre and he is never mentioned as a Junior. Would you key James Dyre twice as this document indicated there were two? Regarding one of his daughters, Rebecca, who is referred to as "Rebecca Kearney" (most of the time with this spelling, but transcribed signature at the end is "Rebecca Kearny"). Would you key as "Rebecca Dyre" in given name field and "Kearney" in the surname field, or as seen "Rebecca Kearney"? And I suppose that would not be correct for surname as the transcribed signature at the end is "Kearny"?
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
DoniaF 21 Jul 2013 5:35PM GMT 
zapartmiller 21 Jul 2013 8:33PM GMT 
DoniaF 21 Jul 2013 9:14PM GMT 
zapartmiller 21 Jul 2013 11:29PM GMT 
DoniaF 22 Jul 2013 1:24AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions