Search for content in message boards

Boston Missing Irish - who is self?

Replies: 10

Re: Boston Missing Irish - who is self?

Posted: 14 Nov 2012 5:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Nov 2012 5:10PM GMT
Depends upon exact phrasing to me; and even then, I have questions at times. As you know, every ad is written by the person who is looking for someone and they all have their ways of phrasing and capitalization.

"OF MARY BRENNAN, wife of John Brennan. They left London, England in 1868 and sailed to America. When last heard of, Mary was living in New York City. Address to her sister, Bridget Maguire, in care of John Hynes, 1018 North Tenth St., New York."

You can pick hairs here but this is what I would interpret:

Line 1
"Mary" as given
"Brennan" as surname
Skipping maiden because we don't know that for sure
"Self" as relations
"London, England" as departure place
"1868" as departure year
"America" as arrival place
"New York City" as last known location

Line 2
same as line one changing the given to "John"
"Husband" as relations
same as line one for departure place and year
rest is blank because John's name is not mentioned as living in New York.

Line 3
"Bridget" as given
"Maguire" as surname
"Sister" as relations
rest is left blank

Now if you change to:

"OF MARY BRENNAN, wife of JOHN BRENNAN. They left London, England in 1868 and sailed to America. When last heard of, Mary was living in New York City. Address to her sister, Bridget Maguire, in care of John Hynes, 1018 North Tenth St., St. Louis, Mo."

In both ads, John might not be missing at all because he is not mentioned as living in New York with Mary. John could be very well be interpreted as missing in the second ad because his name is capitalized. From what I am reading on this post and others, the relations part of John's line is up for debate. One person might key Mary as line 1 the same, key Bridget as line 2 since she is Mary's sister and you would have to put her under Mary to show that, and key John as line 3 and "Self" as relations thereby dropping the fact that he is Mary's husband because his name is capitalized and interpreted as missing.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Kate Strong 9 Nov 2012 3:47PM GMT 
katerimmer 9 Nov 2012 5:53PM GMT 
Kate Strong 9 Nov 2012 6:10PM GMT 
smthcarol811 10 Nov 2012 11:45PM GMT 
Mitch Holland... 11 Nov 2012 7:14PM GMT 
wiedwoman 11 Nov 2012 10:07PM GMT 
redzora80 14 Nov 2012 10:21PM GMT 
DoniaF 15 Nov 2012 12:08AM GMT 
smthcarol811 15 Nov 2012 3:46PM GMT 
katerimmer 15 Nov 2012 4:46PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions