Search for content in message boards

Tennessee, Early Land Registers

Replies: 30

Re: Tennessee, Early Land Registers

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 4:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Jan 2013 4:03PM GMT
Wanted to share some answers to two questions I asked World Archives Support.

In the first attachment I asked which number should be used for the Grant or Warrant Number that has been underlined and which date. This was the reply:

The Grant Number will typically be located at the top of an image or a record and will usually have the abbreviate "Grant no" before it. The number 8084 is at the top of this record and is following the abbreviation "No" so that should be the number you type in for the grant number. As far as the date on this record, when multiple dates appear on a record, key from the date found at the end of the record, which I am unable to read the handwriting that clearly on the screenshot that you sent, but it appears to be the 26th of some month in 1824. Hopefully the image is a little more clear on that than it is for me. If you see an image that has no date at the end of the record, key from the date at the beginning of the record.

In the second attachment I asked: There are three numbers mentioned but only one specifically says "Grant" which is 1313, the original one in 1795. Is this a new grant issued from the old one, and if so, should 13 be used or the number at the bottom 2009 from Carters Office? My thinking is that 13 could be just an entry number used in the court and not the actual grant number. If so, is the number 2009 the new grant number arising from the old one? Also, Carter is a county in Tennessee so should this be keyed as the county for this grant? This was the reply:

"The grant number will typically be at the top of an image or the beginning of a record, but should always follow the abbreviation "grant no." On the image that you sent, the number shown that best fits this type of description would be the 1313, since that is the number that follows the abbreviation "grant no."
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
DoniaF 4 Jan 2013 10:47PM GMT 
ren_gray 5 Jan 2013 3:47AM GMT 
DoniaF 4 Jan 2013 11:02PM GMT 
sjlentz1 8 Feb 2013 11:30PM GMT 
DoniaF 9 Feb 2013 1:02AM GMT 
peggyannchown... 17 Feb 2013 3:58PM GMT 
CLAldridge 10 Jun 2013 10:12PM GMT 
Tengen3 9 Jul 2013 7:38PM GMT 
Tengen3 22 Jul 2013 10:45PM GMT 
sadlesor1 14 Aug 2013 5:19AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions