Search for content in message boards

Tennessee, Early Land Registers

Replies: 30

Re: Tennessee, Early Land Registers

Posted: 9 Jul 2013 1:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
After keying 1474 records and reviewing 500+, I find I still have many doubts and questions in regard to keying and reviewing these records, and it seems others do as well. The instructions and examples in Wiki do not address the many exceptions to the rule that appear within these records. In addition to straight-forward land grants, there are records that appear to be ledgers of assessed fees or payments made. Some are documents filed to correct surveying errors or are invalidations of illegal grants.
There is no way I can feel confident that I have made the right choices in these various anomalies. Here are some questions that would help clarify my thinking:
1. Are the terms Grant, Warrant, Certificate and Entry synonymous and, therefore the number to key? 2. If a document does not contains the specific word Grant as the identifying factor, but does contain an Entry No. and/or Certificate No., what would be the criteria for deciding which number to key, if any?
2. When there is no column titled Grant or Warrant No., but records are identified by sequential numbers in a column titled Entry No., are these numbers keyed as the grant/warrant number?
3. The attachment shows an image that contains several columns of information, however none of the columns are titled. In addition to keying the names, are the consecutive numbers listed in the first column assumed to be the grant/warrant numbers and therefore keyed?
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
DoniaF 4 Jan 2013 10:47PM GMT 
ren_gray 5 Jan 2013 3:47AM GMT 
DoniaF 4 Jan 2013 11:02PM GMT 
sjlentz1 8 Feb 2013 11:30PM GMT 
DoniaF 9 Feb 2013 1:02AM GMT 
peggyannchown... 17 Feb 2013 3:58PM GMT 
CLAldridge 10 Jun 2013 10:12PM GMT 
Tengen3 9 Jul 2013 7:38PM GMT 
Tengen3 22 Jul 2013 10:45PM GMT 
sadlesor1 14 Aug 2013 5:19AM GMT