Search for content in message boards

Newspaper Extractions - Last names

Replies: 2

Newspaper Extractions - Last names

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 10:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
I recently looked at the discussion page for this project and found a question/answer that I have a further question about. The ? concerned surnames of spouses when a spouse was only listed with a given name.... When the primary is, for example, for Davis, Laura w/o Robert O do we infer and index the surname of Davis for the spouse. The answer given was that it would be indexed as Davis, Robert O (inferring the surname) I have not been doing this because I thought we weren't supposed to infer things unless stated that we could. If we should be inferring this information, would we also infer it for wives, and then for children where it states son of or daughter of? Children may have a step-parent listed as the father of (therefore last name would not necessarily be the same) and if we infer for one relationship and not the other isn't that kind of counter-productive to what we are doing? Wouldn't this be the kind of situation as is mentioned in other projects where "the researcher can infer the information on their own"?
Also, I have not been making these type of inferences and so I apologize in advance for my records indexed in the wrong manner ahead of time if we should be making these inferences:( I will stop until I am sure either way!

Thank you so much!
Dawn
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
coacheswife92 24 Feb 2013 5:34PM GMT 
katerimmer 24 Feb 2013 5:46PM GMT 
coacheswife92 24 Feb 2013 8:13PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic